Our friends in Egypt drew up this handy manual titled “How to Protest Intelligently and Fight Riot Police.” The 26 page guide, published in Arabic, describes basic techniques for being a smart protester by defending oneself, and by defeating the riot police’s own tactics.
The Atlantic magazine translated portions of the manual into English, side-by-side with the Arabic pages. That translation is available here.
The manual lists practical steps to holding successful mass protests. Items include:
- An outline of what the people’s demands should be.
- The strategic goals of civil disobedience.
- Steps for carrying out the plan.
- Necessary clothing and accessories (goggles, a scarf, thick rubber gloves, athletic shoes, a pot lid for a shield, a sweatshirt or leather jacket with hood, a can of spray paint for defense against riot police, and a rose).
- How to use the accessories (example: spray paint as a defensive weapon to cover riot police face shields and paint over mirrors and windows of police vehicles).
- Examples of signs and slogans.
- How to publish and disseminate information.
Click here for a pdf of the full text of the manual in Arabic: Egyptian manual